Do you have a special needs child?

You may be able to claim the family caregiver amount, if you have a dependent child with an impairment in physical or mental functions.  The impairment must be prolonged and indefinite, and the child must need much more assistance for their personal needs and care compared to children of the same age.  You must have a signed statement from a medical doctor showing when the impairment began and what the duration of the impairment is expected to be.    

This credit was new for the 2012 taxation year.  If you have a special needs child, ask us how you go about claiming this credit for 2012 and subsequent years.

Leave a Reply